LOCAL HISTORY AND GENEALOGY
In the spring of 1644 some members of the Church of New Plymouth decided to move west to "Nausett". In June, 1644 this committee purchased a large tract of land from the Native Americans for "moose-skins, Indian boats, wampam, l ittle knives" etc. Today this tract of land comprises the towns of Orleans, Eastham and Wellfleet.
The settlers were Thomas Prence, Nicholas Snow, John Doane, Edward Bangs, Josiah Cooke, Richard Higgins, John Smalley, Samuel Hicks, John Jenkins, Robert Wixon, Joseph Rogers, John Freeman, Thomas Williams, and Thomas Roberts.
While the library has an extensive genealogy and local history collection and subscribes to a number of online genealogy resources, most of this collection will not be available until the new Library is open in late 2015.
The archives of the Eastham Historical Society, which include many primary source materials, have been relocated from the Library's Vivian Andrist Room to the Schoolhouse Museum on Nauset Road across from the National Seashore Visitors Center (access by appointment). The archives and genealogical help are available by appointment, with volunteer archivist Bobbie Cornish at Box 8, Eastham, MA 02642. Phone (508) 255-0558. Questions may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The original 1897 library building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and will be restored as part of the construction of the new Library.
American Ancestors: New England Historic & Genealogical Society Database (In-Library Use Only)
(In Library Use Only)
Cape Cod Gravestones: 17th, 18th & 19th Century Cape Cod Gravestones dated 1683 or later
Photographs, manuscripts, audio recordings, and other materials made available by Massachusetts libraries, museums, archives, and historical societies.
Eastham Historical Commission
Registry of Deeds (Barnstable County)
-Recorded Land indexes and images from 1704 to the present
-Recorded Land Plan indexes and images
-Land Court name index